Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reasons


Not surprisingly, a large percentage of the people that J.D. picks up are schizophrenic/bipolar. For some reason these cases make me sadder than just about anything else, except for domestic abuse. It's because these patients are often fighting so hard with themselves and on a certain level, I can relate to that. J.D. took a young man with schizophrenia to the hospital that had been off of his meds for some time, so was pretty revved up. The entire ride to the hospital, he would alternate between being pretty with it and freaking out. During these episodes he kept trying to leave the back of the ambulance (which was en route already). But this guy had mentioned early on to J.D. that he was going to the hospital because his uncle had asked him to. So he would freak out and J.D. would remind him he was doing this for his uncle which would calm him down. It's so important to have someone and/or something in your life that keeps you on the right path.

I excessively dislike my job sometimes (we're talking gray cubicle walls). Although I would label myself as a glass half full sort of person generally, every once in a while I sink into a glass is half empty with food bits crusted to the inside at a restaurant type. Most recently, I sort of got stuck on the idea of packing it in and moving back with our parents in Florida. But J.D. reminded me that I have four very good reasons to keep doing the things I don't want to:





Gratitude: I'm grateful for my reasons to do what I have to do, no getting around it. They make my glass half full again.

Quote: "For myself, I am an optimist-It does not seem to be much use being anything else"-Sir Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment